1) find the probability of getting a number with 7 between 100 and
999 (both inclusive).
2) There are 10 items in a box, out of which 3 are defective.
2 balls are taken one after the other. what is the probability
that both of them are defective?
Ans: 1/15 or 6/90
3) Context free grammar is accepted by
a) finite automata
b)push down automata
c) two way bounded automata
d) both b and c
4) which is not a memory management scheme?
a) buddy system
d) paging Ans : c
5) qn. on karnaugh map for simplifying boolean expressions
- 1 1 -
1 - - 1
1 - - 1
- 1 1 -
6) qn. on nand gates .
7) context sensitive grammar
8) An identifier can start with a letter followed by any number of letter
or digits .
9) 8MB total memory, 256 k cache , 4k is block size. direct mapping
how many different physical memory blocks can be mapped on to the cache.
a) 64 b) 256 c) 128
10) CSMA/CD is used in
a) token ring
Ans : d
11) In TCP/IP header , checksum contains
a) sum of all the words
b) ones complement of the data
c) ones complement of the sum of all the words
d) ones complement of the sum in ones complement
Ans : d
12) Max no of Acknowledgements for a 4 bit sequence number in a
sliding window protocol.
13) which is a good way of representing varaibles in recursion
a) local variables
b) static varaibles
c) global variables
14) c programs
static int i = 10;
what is the value of i if the function is called twice ?
Ans : 11
15) Qn. on pointers .
16) given page table,page size and offset find the corresponding
physical address ?
ans : a (3*1024+576) (pageno*pagesize+offset)
17) In a memory chip 4k size and 16bit words to be stored. No of
address and data lines reqd.
Ans) 16 data and 12 address
18) idetify in which pass of the 2 pass compiler
2) address resolution
19) object code not requires
a) relocation bits
b) external names and place where they are located
c) absolute adress
d) all the object codes
a) MAC to IP
b) IP to MAC
Ans : b
21) Qn on Balanced tree ? A balanced tree is given and a node is addded
at the leaf and asked to find the no of unbalanced nodes?
22) order of Hashing time
4) parse tree
s -> s + s ; s -> s * s ; s -> a
find the no of parse trees for a+a*a+a
25) order of deleting an node from a linked list. (pointer is to an
26) A choclate of size nXn is given and is to be made into pices of size
1x1. At a time both horizontal and a vertical cut is done. Find the
order of complexity
Ans : a
27) A directed graph is represented by adjacency list. To find the
complexity of indegree of the node. e - edge n- vertices
28) No of leaf nodes given. find the no of nodes with degree 2.
29) AX = B . A is mXn and B is mX1 and several options given like
a) there is a unique solution if rank of A is same as rank of
augumented matrix [A b]
b) there are multiple solutions
30) LXI sp,2099h
LXI b, 2012h
31) Which of the following are false (on complexities)
32) A,B are sets. A's cardinality is m and B's is n where m < n
how many one to one mappings can be obtained.
a) n ^ m
33) In scduling algorithnms which are logically executed but suspended
d) all the above
Ans : a
34) I/O redirection is
a) copying programs files through a pipe
b) input files are created
c) input file taken from existing ones
35) symmetric multiprocessing can be done in
a) snoopy protocols
b) cache coherence
36) dining philospheres problems to avoid dead lock
a) 1 person will take left one and all other will take right one
b) adjacent persons should not eat concurrently
36) process states ? which is the correct order
a) timeout:ready -> running
b) blocked : ready -> running
37) for converting infix expression to postfix what
do we require
a) operand stack
b) operator stack
38) 0 is reprented as both and negative and positive
a) ones complement
b) twos complement
c) two's complement has extra negative number
39) Difference between c and c++?
a)In c++ we can define variables in the middle
40) Which of the following is correct
a) Synchronous tranmission needs more badwidth than Asychronous.
b) Inasychronous transmission , the time is associated with data itself.....
future ( values / varriables changed - similer paper)
The Questions are follows
1. Number of null pointers in any binary tree = n+1
2. max(t1,t2,...tn) = pipelining
3. 50% -DBETXXXXXX - density
4. print (Head(T))
Traverse(right(T)) - ans: none of the above
5. Boolean expn Evalvate
6. Common subexpn : - ans : a + e
7. LRU : 1, 2, 3.
8. Tr. Delay - 10000 bits ans. 10.01
9. Grammar of Number of shift / reduce operator : ans. 4
10. CPU scheduling 9,8 ?
11. if even x/2
2^k + 1: 3 . 2^(k-1) clarify this with sans
12. allocation ans: (ii) only
13. swapping : ans: reference only
14. Compiler - related Qn.
15. LAN frames - ? related Qn.
16. parameter passing (35,20)
17. sliding window protocol
- BUFFER SIZE large
18. kernel mode - deallocate resource
19. logic circuit
ans . Minimum OR = 3
20. Combinatorics related
21. priority scheduling
begin x = y; x= x+1; y= x
begin x =y; z= z+1; y= z
ans. Number of values possi = 2
23. 2 bits flip / 2 bits exchange
ans : the word with one '1'
24. any addr
K^+ v(a) + 2I - 2a
You try to prepare all subject questions in all the papers being
sent so that it will be useful in the interview.
concentrate on OS, networks.
1). A beggr collects cigarette stubs and makes one ful cigarette
with every 7 stubs. Once he gets 49 stubs . How many cigarettes
can he smoke totally.
2). A soldiar looses his way in a thick jungle at random walks
from his camp but mathematically in an interestingg fashion.
First he walks one mile east then half mile to north. Then 1/4
mile to west, then 1/8 mile to south and so on making a loop.
Finally hoe far he is from his camp and in which direction.
ans: in north and south directions
1/2 - 1/8 + 1/32 - 1/128 + 1/512 - and so on
similarly in east and west directions
1- 1/4 + 1/16 - 1/64 + 1/256 - and so on
= 1/(( 1- ( - 1/4))
add both the answers
3). hoe 1000000000 can be written as a product of two factors
neither of them containing zeros
Ans 2 power 9 x 5 ppower 9 ( check the answer )
4). Conversation between two mathematcians:
first : I have three childern. Thew pproduct of their ages is 36
. If you sum their ages . it is exactly same as my neighbour's
door number on my left. The sacond mathematiciaan verfies the
door number and says that the not sufficient . Then the first
says " o.k one more clue is that my youngest is the youngest"
Immmediately the second mathematician answers . Can you aanswer
the questoion asked by the first mathematician?
What are the childeren ages? ans 2 and 3 and 6
5). Light glows for every 13 seconds . How many times did it
between 1:57:58 and 3:20:47 am
ans : 383 + 1 = 384
6). 500 men are arranged in an array of 10 rows and 50 columns .
ALL tallest among each row aare asked to fall out . And the
shortest among THEM is A. Similarly after resuming that to their
originaal podsitions that the shorteest among each column are
asked to fall out. And the longest among them is B . Now who is
taller among A and B ?
7). A person spending out 1/3 for cloths , 1/5 of the remsaining
for food and 1/4 of the remaining for travelles is left with
Rs 100/- . How he had in the begining ?
ans RS 250/-
8). there are six boxes containing 5 , 7 , 14 , 16 , 18 , 29
balls of either red or blue in colour. Some boxes contain only
red balls and others contain only blue . One sales man sold one
box out of them and then he says " I have the same number of red
balls left out as that of blue ". Which box is the one he solds
Ans : total no of balls = 89 and (89-29 /2 = 60/2 = 30
and also 14 + 16 = 5 + 7 + 18 = 30
9). A chain is broken into three pieces of equal lenths
conttaining 3 links each. It is taken to a backsmith to join into
a single continuous one . How many links are to tobe opened to
make it ?
Ans : 2.
10). Grass in lawn grows equally thickand in a uniform rate. It
takes 24 days for 70 cows and 60 for 30 cows . How many cows can
eat away the same in 96 days.?
Ans : 18 or 19
11). There is a certain four digit number whose fourth digit is
twise the first digit.
Third digit is three more than second digit.
Sum of the first and fourth digits twise the third number.
What was that number ?
Ans : 2034 and 4368
If you qualify in the first part then you have to appear for
the second i.e the following part.
1. From a vessel on the first day, 1/3rd of the liquid
evaporates. On the second day 3/4th of the remaining liquid
evaporates. what fraction of the volume is present at the end of
the II day.
2. an orange galss has orange juice. and white glass has apple
juice. Bothe equal volume 50ml of the orange juice is taken and
poured into the apple juice. 50ml from the white glass is poured
into the orange glass. Of the two quantities, the amount of
apple juice in the orange glass and the amount of orange juice in
the white glass, which one is greater and by how much?
3. there is a 4 inch cube painted on all sides. this is cut
into no of 1 inch cubes. what is the no of cubes which have no
4. sam and mala have a conversation. sam says i am vertainly not
over 40. mala says i am 38 and you are atleast 5 years older
than me. Now sam says you are atleast 39. all the sattements by
the two are false. How hold are they realy.
5. ram singh goes to his office in the city, every day from his
suburbun house. his driver mangaram drops him at the railway
station in the morning and picks him up in the evening. Every
evening ram singh reaches the station at 5 o'clock. mangaram
also reaches at the same time. one day ramsingh started early
from his office and came to the station at 4 o'clock. not
wanting to wait for the car he starts walking home. Mangaram
starts at normal time, picks him up on the way and takes him back
house, half an hour early. how much time did ram singh walk.
6. in a railway station, there are tow trains going. One in the
harbour line and one in the main line, each having a frequency of
10 minutes. the main line service starts at 5 o'clock. the
harbour line starts at 5.02a.m. a man goes to the station every
day to catch the first train. what is the probability of man
catchinhg the first train
7. some people went for vaction. unfortunately it rained for 13
days when they were there. but whenever it rained in the
morning, they had clean afternood and vice versa. In all they
enjoyed 11 morning and 12 afternoons. how many days did they
stay there totally
8. exalator problem repeat
9. a survey was taken among 100 people to firn their preference
of watching t.v. programmes. there are 3 channels. given no of
people who watch
at least channel 1
" " 2
" " 3
no channels at all
atleast channels 1and 3
" " 1 and 2
" " 2 and 3
find the no of people who watched all three.
10. albert and fernandes they have two leg swimming race. both
start from opposite and of the pool. On the first leg, the boys
pass each other at 18 mt from the deep end of the pool. during
the II leg they pass at 10 mt from the shallow end of the pool.
Both go at const speed. but one of them is faster. each boy
rests for 4 sec to see at the end of the i leg. what is the
length of the pool.
11. T H I S Each alphabet stands for one
I S digit, what is the maximum value T
-------------- can take
X F X X
X X U X
X X N X X
1. an escalator is descending at constant speed. A walks down
and takes 50 steps to reach the bottom. B runs down and takes 90
steps in the same time as A takes 10 steps. how many steps are
visible when the escalator is not operating.
2. evvery day a cyclist meets a train at a particular crossing.
the road is straignt before the crossing and both are travelling
in the same direction. cyclist travels with a speed of 10 Kmph.
One day the cyclist comes late by 25 min. and meets the train 5km
before the crossing. what is the seppd of the train.
3. five persons muckerjee, misra, iyer, patil and sharma, all
take then first or middle names in the full names. There are 4
persons having I or middle name of kumar, 3 persons with mohan, 2
persons withdev and 1 anil.
--Either mukherjee and patil have a I or middle name of dev or
misra and iyer have their I or middle name of dev
--of mukherkjee and misre, either both of them have a first or
middle name of mohan or neither have a first or middle name of
--either iyer of sharma has a I or middle name of kumar hut not
who has the I or middle name of anil
4. reading conprehension
5. a bird keeper has got Ppigeon, M mynas and S sparrows. the
keeper goes for lunch leaving his assistant to watch the birds.
a. suppose p=10, m=5, s=8 when the bird keeper comes back, the
assistant informs the x birds have escaped. the bird keeper
exclaims oh no! all my sparrows are gone. how many birds flew
b. when the bird keeper come back, the assistand told him that
x birds have escaped. the keeper realised that atleast2 sparrows
have escaped. what is minimum no of birds that can escape.
6. select from the five alternatives A,B,C,D,E
AT THE end of each question ,two conditions will be given.
the choices are to filled at follows.
a. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1
b. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 2
c. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 and 2
d. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 or 2
e. no conclusion can be drawn using both conditions
1. person 1 says N<5
person says n>5
person 3 says 3N>20
person 4 says 3n>10
person 5 says N<8
whaT IS value of N
a) 1. no of persons who speak false being less than no of persons
who tells the truth.
2. person 2 is telling the truth.
b) 1. no of persong telling the truth is greater than no of
persons telling lies
2. person 5 is telling the truth.
7. there are N coins on a table. there are two players A&B.
you can take 1 or 2 coins at a time. the person who takes the
last coin is the loser. a always starts first
--1. if N=7
a) A can always win by taking two coins in his first chanse
b) B can win only if A takes two coins in his first chance.
c) B can always win by proper play
d) none of the above
--2. A can win by proper play if N is equal to
a) 13 b) 37 c) 22 d) 34 e) 48 ans. e.
--3. B can win by proper play if N is equal to
a) 25 b)26 c) 32 d) 41 e) none
--4. if N<4, can A win by proper play always
8. Two turns have vertain pecular charcteristics. One of them
always lies on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. \the other always lies
on Tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays. On the other days they tel
the truth. You are given a conversation.
person A-- today is sunday my name is anil
person B-- today is tuesday, my name is bill
answers for selected questions
2. equal 1. 150
3. 8 2. 60 kmph
4. 37(M),41(S) 3. Mukherjee
5. 45 min. 8. today is tuesday
11. T max value = 4
3. Anil kumar Mukherjee
Kumar Misra dev
Mohan iyer dev
kumar patil mohan
mohan sharma kumar
Here, we had three single man panels. They are seeing the subjects
taken and asking questions in that mainly. They didn't go deep into
any subject and they were just asking overview. When they catch any
new word they are asking about it.
These are some of the questions asked to us.(not to a single person.)
What is a finite Automata.
what is a turing machine.
how many processors are there in a pentium microprocessor. in Sparc.
difference between risc and cisc.
is risc always fast.
what is a real time system.
name some real time OS
what are the characteristics of Real time OS.
is DOS a real time OS.
what is a kernel,shell.
what is binary search, traversal, hashing etc.
given a scenario what is the suitable data structure.
write a code to count the no. of 1's in a binary rep. of a number.
memory taken for char *, int * etc.
char *cp; int *ip; cp++,ip++ - what is the result.
compare the no. of bytes in unix and Dos for long char short int.
how to make programs portable on unix and Dos under such circumstances.
in c++, what is a constructor, destructor etc.
what is friend etc.
what is waterfall model, prototype model etc.
what is testing. what is unit testing, integration testing etc.
What is indexing in databases?
What is atomicity?
Can recursive pgms be written in C++, Write a recursive pgm to
calculate factorial in c++.
What is best data structure to store the processes info in a real time
Verifone test Questions :
There are two parts :
1. Aptitute test : 15 Minutes, 20 Questions
Some questions are:
(not in order)
1. A question (first one)on addition of fraction of inches
a. was the answer
2. There were 36 chairs. how many ways can they be placed such
that all rows have equal no. of chairs and atleast three chairs
are there in each row and there are atleast three rows.
3. There are 27 balls, of which 1 is heavier. given a balance
how many times you need to weigh to find out the odd ball.
4. Product of three consecutive nos. 210. What is the sum
of two least numbers
5. If the area of the sqaure is increased by 69 % how
much the length of the side will increase?
6. if the sum of five consecutive nos. 35? how many prime nos
are there :
7. if the length of the rectangle is reduced by 20% and breath
is increased by 20 % what is the net change ?
4 % decrease
8. A question on sets.
There are some 20 Basketball players & 30 Football players,
and 25 cricket players. 1 of them plays all the three games.
8 of them plays atleast two games. They are 50 altogether.
How many of them plays none of the games.
9. A question on directions.
B is 20 miles east of A. D is 30 miles east of C. E is 10 miles
north of D. C is 20 miles north of B. How far E is from A?
Some 3 questions on Reasoning like,
10. If you say that giving stock options to employees increases the
productivity of the company, which of the following sentences
A) Giving stock options increases the morale of the employees
11. Gamblers comes to the Amusement parks. There are some Amusement
parks in each city. There are some gamblers in each city. So
what can you infer.
A) Amusement park always have gamblers.
2. Technical Questions.
i. Electrical & Electronics : 15 Questions
1.A Circuit with nand gates. (ans. may be XOR)
2.CMRR. relates to (options not in order)
non invering amplifier
3. Given a circuit , give the ouput.
(ans. may be triangular wave.)
4. o/p of an assembly code.
mulitply by 11.
5. how to handle asynchronous events.
ii)Data Structures, Algo., & Complexity theory : 5 questions
iii) OS : 5 questions
iv) Networks and Hardware: 5 questions
v) Databases and Misc.: 5 questions
vi) C Pgm. : 5 questions
some more 10 questions.
1. if W is a sequence of strings without a and W' is its reversal
then WaW' is accepted by:
Context Free Grammmars
2. Whether all recusive pgm can be writtten iteratively?
3. What data structes you will use if you want to go to first record from
the last and vice versa?
doubly linked circular list
4. Given 10000 nos. and 48MB Memory. What is the complexity of the
efficient sorting algo.? (the algo. is not mentioned)
5. Given a C code and ask what it does?
code was something similar to Bubble sort and that
particular code does the sorting in Desending order and the complexity
is O(n^2)(which is the next question).
A code like this is given.
Assuming no code optimization and assume that the microprocessor
has flags etc. which one is correct.
b will execute faster.
7. If there are too many page faults what is the problem?
8. To ensure one pgm. doesnt corrupt other pgm. in a Multi-pgm enviornment
what you should do?
9. Which one you will use to implement critical section?
10. Which one is not needed for Multi-processing. enviornment?
options are: virtual memory,security,time sharing,none of the
11. Which one is not done by Data link layer ?
bit stuffing, LRC,CRC,parity check
12. Which one is not related to Data link layer?
13. Which one is not suitable for client-server application?
tcp/ip,message passing,rpc,none of the above.
14. What is SQL.
Procedural Relational DB Query Language.
15. Indexing in databases give you
options were like 1.efficient deleting and inserting
16. int a=1,b=2,c=3;
What is the output?
17. Scope of Static Variable ............
in a file.
18. for(i=0; i<=10;i++,printf("%d",i)); +- (+- is there in the questions)
20. Real Time Os should have
a)fast context switch
b)Virtual memory etc.
21. Messages are transferred in some E71 code, where after 7 bits of data,
1 bit of stopping data is to be transferred. what should be done.
options were like
a) send directly
b) send after encoding
22. There are three processes A, B, C. A sends data to B. B removes the
header stores it and sends the data to C. C returns it to B. B receives the
message, identifies the message and adds the header that was stored and
sends to A.B receives the messages from C such that atmost 'm' messages
Identify the best Data Structure.
23. A question in compiler about the heap and stack allocation of memory.
a) size of x is 7.
d) cp takes the size of a pointer.
(d ) is the ans.
I am sending format of ORACLE. I just sent you Verifone(some questions)
1. what is sparese matrices?. give (at least) two methods for implemetation
rather than two dimentional array.
2.what are cheap locks/latches?.
3.what is two phase locking?. Name two locks.
4. What are volatile variables in C?. What is their significance ?.
5. will these two work in same manner
#define intp int *
typedef int * inpp;
6. what are binary trees?. what is its use?.
Section 3 :
A). write header file containing functions used, etc (C),
problem is to maitain a Queue. user has to give size and type of Queue.
This problem is like this I don't remember exactly.
1. What is polymorphism?
2. What is Inheritence?.
3. Mention four Object Oriented Programming Languages?>
4. Mention basic concepts of OOP.
5. What are messages in OOP?.
6. What is garbase collection?.
7.what is object?.
8. what is a class?.
1. expand the following:
a.SEI b. ISO
2. what are different levels of SEI?.
3. What is significance of ISO?>
4. Expand the following:
5. what is Black box testing?.
6. explain the following:
1. white box testing
2. white box testing
3. boundary testing
PART 1: APTITUDE - 10 Q.
1. X is taller than Y and Z is shorter than X. Which of the following statements
would be most accurate ? (similar to this)
a) Z is taller than Y.
b) Z is shorter than Y.
c) Z is as tall as Y.
d) It is impossible to tell Z or Y is taller.
2. A man travels for 12hours 30min. He covers one-third of the journey by train at the rate of 60kmph and two-third of the journey by road at the rate of 30kmph. The distance traveled by him is:
3. Excluding stoppages the speed of a bus is 45 kmph. Including stoppages it is 42kmph. For how many minutes does the bus stop in two hour?
(All the options were under 10.)
4. The rates of working of A and B are in the ratio of 9:6. The number of days taken by them to finish the work would be in the ratio of:
5. The average of 5 consecutive numbers is n. If the next three numbers are also included, the average will:
6. A family consists of a grand father, a father, a mother , five sons and their wives and each son has two son and one daughters. How many males are there in the family ?
7. If the number 423 is multiplied by another number and if the answer is 65589. In the above answer if the two 5’s are wrong, what is the correct answer ? (similar with changed figures, not exactly this one.)
8. If a ship travels a distance of 20km upstream in 2 hours and downstream in 1 hour. How much time it takes to travel a distance of 30km in still water?
9. A sum 650 is divided among A, B, C. If 1/6th of A’s share equal to 1/9th of B’s share it also equal to 1/12th of C’s share, what is the share of B?
10. The diameter of the driving wheel of a bus is 140. How many revolutions per min. must the wheel make in order to keep a speed of 66 kmph.
PART 3: COMPUTER SCIENCE SECTION – 20 Q.
1. Which of the following is used in n/w layer of osi model:
a) bridge b) router c) repeater d) none of those
2. internal fregmentation and external fregmentation are concepts of which memory management:
a) paged only
b) segmented only
c) paged and segmented respectively
d) segmented and paged respectively
3,4,5. Questions were on Boolean expression simplification of 3 variables. Those were very easy. applied k-map method and got the right answer within seconds.
6. in a paged memory, the page hit ratio is 0.35. time required to access a page in secondary memory is equal to 100ns.the time requiredto access a page in primary memory is 10ns. The average time required to access a page is: [similar with changed data, used the basic formula.]
7. in an another easy question, three processes were given with their burst time, time quantum was also given, so the question was to find the time in which second process will finish in round-robin scheduling policy.
8. one que. on binary tree search like should item must be in ascending or descending order while search.
9. one direct que. on RTOS.
10. one que. on MUTEX and critical section.
a) greater than physical memory
b) greater than physical address
c) less than physical address
d) equal to physical memory
12. to 19. question on data communication neither I attempted nor I remember as I’m an MCA and this protion was a minor, way back in 3rd sem.
20. a long question on probability.
PART2: PROGRAMMING SKILL – 20 Q.
There were 20 questions on “c”.
We were asked to give the o/p of trickey codes of c language. It’s hard to remember those codes. I can give only idea. Questions were from simple case control, looping constructs, recursion, arrays. some question were asked from bitwise operators. 2-3 theoretical multiple choice ques. were also asked. Not a single code of pointers.