Sify has one written test of 30 min duration with no negative marks, totally 20ques. each
Ques. were of flowchart and sequencing type.
Therafter tech. & HR interview.
In tech interview they r mostly asking abt networking , java,threads,diff b/w
dbms and rdbms,VB,ASP, etc. Some general Q's like extracuricular activities as in ur
Some Q's are :
1) 2 nos: , LCM=693 , GCM=11 one no: 77 find the other ?
2) 5 children,youngest 3yrs old and no 2 children hve the same age ,sum of their age is
26.Find the age of
3)second no: is twice the first no: and first no: is thrice the third no:.Their avg is 20.
Find the greatest no:
4) RS232 cable - bit transfer rate ?
5) If CPU wants to stop the IO process and continue with main processing ,then which
device it uses :
Control Unit,IO Divertor,Channel Divertor,None
6)connnecting 2 diff networks
1. There is a 4 inch cube painted on all sides. This
is cut down into of 1 inch cubes. What is the no of
cubes which have no pointed sides.
2. At 6'o a clock ticks 6 times. The time between
first and last ticks is 30 seconds. How long does it
tick at 12'o clock.
Ans: 66 sec.
3. Complete the series: 5, 20, 24, 6, 2, 8, ?
Ans: 12 (as 5*4=20, 20+4=24,
24/4=6, 6-4=2, 2*4=8, 8+4=12).
4. Find the values of each of the alphabets.
N O O N
S O O N
+ M O O N
J U N E
5. If a clock takes 7seconds to strike 7, how long
will the same clock take to strike 10?
Ans: The clock strikes for the
first time at the start and takes 7 seconds for 6
intervals-thus for one interval time taken=7/6.
Therefore, for 10 seconds there are 9 intervals and
time taken is 9*7/6=10 and 1/2 seconds.
6. An escalator is descending at constant speed. A
walks down and takes 50 steps to reach the bottom. B
runs down and takes 90 steps in the same time as A
takes 10 steps. How many steps are visible when the
escalator is not operating?
Ans: 150 steps
7. A chain is broken into three pieces of equal
lengths containing 3 links each. It is taken to a
blacksmith to join into a single continuous one. How
many links are to to be opened to make it ?
Ans : 2.
8. There is a safe with a 5 digit number as the key.
The 4th digit is 4 greater than second digit, while
3rd digit is 3 less than 2nd digit. The 1st digit is
thrice the last digit. There are 3 pairs whose sum is
11. Find the number.
9. An orange glass has orange juice and white glass
has apple juice both of equal volumes. 50ml of the
orange juice is taken and poured into the apple juice.
50ml from the white glass is poured into the orange
glass. Of the two quantities, the amount of apple
juice in the orange glass and the amount of orange
juice in the white glass, which one is greater and by
Ans: The two quantities are equal
10. The shape in the sketch below is that of a square
attached to half of a similar square. Divide it into
four equal pieces
Ans: Hint : the figure can be divided
into 12 equal triangles
11. Fifty minutes ago if it was four times as many
minutes past three o'clock, how many minutes is it to
Ans: Twenty six minutes.
12. Everyday in his business a merchant had to weigh
amounts from 1 kg to 121kgs, to the nearest kg.
What are the minimum number of weight required
and how heavy should they be?
Ans: .The minimum number is 5 and they
should weigh 1,3,9,27 and 81kgs.
13. A car is traveling at a uniform speed. The driver
sees a milestone showing a 2-digit number. After
traveling for an hour the driver sees another
milestone with the same digits in reverse order. After
another hour the driver sees another milestone
containing the same two digits. What is the average
speed of the driver.
14. A hotel has 10 storeys. Which floor is above the
floor below the floor, below the floor above the
floor, below the
floor above the fifth.
Ans: The sixth floor.
15. Albert and Fernandes have two leg swimming race.
Both start from opposite ends of the pool. On the
first leg, the boys pass each other at 18 m from the
deep end of the pool. During the second leg they pass
at 10 m from the shallow end of the pool. Both go at
constant speed but one of them is faster. Each boy
rests for 4 seconds at the end of the first leg. What
is the length of the pool?
16. Shahrukh speaks truth only in the morning and lies
in the afternoon, whereas Salman speaks truth only in
the afternoon. A says that B is Shahrukh. Is it
morning or afternoon and who is A - Shahrukh or
Ans: Afternoon ; A is Salman.
17. A person with some money spends1/3 for cloths, 1/5
of the remaining for food and 1/4 of the remaining for
He is left with Rs 100/- . How much did he have
with him in the beginning ?
Ans: Rs 250/-
18. Ram, Shyam and Gumnaam are friends.
Ram is a widower and lives alone and his sister
takes care of him.
Shyam is a bachelor and his niece cooks his food
and looks after his house.
Gumnaam is married to Gita and lives in large
house in the same town.
Gita gives the idea that all of them could stay
together in the house and share monthly expenses
During their first month of living
together, each person contributed Rs.25. At the end of
the month, it was found that Rs 92 was the expense so
the remaining amount was distributed equally among
everyone. The distribution was such that everyone
received a whole number of Rupees. How much did each
Ans. Rs 2 (Hint: Ram's sister,
Shyam's niece and Gumnaam's wife are the same person)
19. There are 3 societies A, B, C. A lent cars to B
and C as many as they had already. After some time B
gave as many tractors to A and C as many as they have.
After sometime c did the same thing. At the end of
this transaction each one of them had 24. Find the
cars each originally had.
Ans: A had 39 cars, B had 21 cars & C
had 12 cars
20. Sam and Mala have a conversation.
· Sam says I am certainly not over 40
· Mala says I am 38 and you are at least 5 years older
· Now Sam says you are at least 39
All the statements by the two are false. How old
are they really?
Ans: Mala = 38 yrs, Sam = 41 yrs.
21. Each alphabet stands for one digit in the
T H I S
x I S
X F X X
X X U X
X X N X X What is the maximum
value T can take?
Ans: T max value = 4
22. Grass in lawn grows equally thick and in a
uniform rate. It takes 24 days for 70 cows and 60 days
for 30 cows to eat the whole of the grass. How many
cows are needed to eat the grass in 96 days.?
Ans : 20
[Hint: g - grass at the
beginning r -
rate at which grass grows, per day
y - rate at which
one cow eats grass, per day n - no of cows to
eat the grass in 96 days
g + 24*r = 70 * 24
* y g + 60*r
= 30 * 60 * y
g + 96*r = n * 96
* y, Solving, n = 20. ]
23. Three criminals were arrested for shop lifting.
However, when interrogated only one told the truth in
both his statements, while the other two each told one
true statement and one lie. The statements were:
· ALBERT :(a) Chander passed the merchandise. (b)
Bruce created the diversion.
· BRUCE :(a) Albert passed the merchandise. (b)
I created the diversion.
· CLIVE :(a) I took the goods out of the shop.
(b) Bruce passed them over.
Ans: Albert passed the goods. Bruce
created the diversion. Clive took the goods out of the
24. I bought a car with a peculiar 5 digit numbered
license plate which on reversing could still be read.
On reversing value is increased by 78633.Whats the
original number if all digits were different?
Ans: Only 0 1 6 8 and 9 can be read
upside down. So on rearranging these digits we get the
answer as 10968
25. There N stations on a railroad. After adding X
stations on the rail route 46 additional tickets have
to be printed.
Find N and X.
Ans. x=2 and N=11 ( Let initially,
N(N-1) = t; After adding, (N+X)(N+X-1) = t+46;Trail
and error method )
26. Complete the Table given below:
Three football teams are there. Given below is
the group table. Fill in the x's
Played Won Lost Draw Goals For Goals Against
A 2 2 x x x 1
B 2 x x 1 2 4
C 2 x x x 3 7
Ans: The filled table is given below
Played Won Lost Draw Goals For Goals Against
A 2 2 0 0 7 1
B 2 0 1 1 2 4
C 2 0 1 1 3 7
27. A bird keeper has got P pigeons, M mynas and S
sparrows. The keeper goes for lunch leaving his
assistant to watch the birds.
· Suppose p=10, m=5, s=8 when the bird keeper comes
back, the assistant informs the x birds have escaped.
The bird keeper exclaims: "Oh no! All my sparrows are
How many birds flew away?
· When the bird keeper comes back, the assistant told
him that x birds have escaped. The keeper realized
that at least 2 sparrows have escaped.
What is minimum no of birds that can escape?
28. Seven members sat around a table for three days
for a conference.
The member's names were Abhishek, Amol, Ankur,
Anurag, Bhuwan ,Vasu and Vikram.
The meetings were chaired by Vikram.
On the first evening members sat around the table
On the following two nights, Vikram arranged the
seating so that he could have Abhishek as near to him
possible and absent minded Vasu as far away as he
On no evening did any person have sitting next to
him a person who had previously been his neighbor.
How did Vikram manage to seat everybody to the
best advantage on the second and third evenings?
Ans: Second evening: Vikram, Ankur,
Abhishek, Amol, Vasu, Anurag and Bhuwan.
Third evening :Vikram,
Anurag, Abhishek, Vasu, Bhuwan, Ankur, Amol.
29. Two twins have certain peculiar characteristics.
One of them always lies on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
The other always lies on Tuesdays, Thursdays and
Saturdays. On the other days they tell the truth. You
are given a conversation.
· Person A-- today is Sunday my name is Anil
· Person B -- today is Tuesday, my name is Bill
What day is today?
Ans: Today is Tuesday.
30. Four prisoners escape from a prison. The
prisoners, Mr. East, Mr. West, Mr. South, Mr. North
head towards different directions after escaping. The
following information of their escape was supplied:
· The escape routes were The North Road, South Road,
East Road and West Road.
· None of the prisoners took the road which was their
· Mr. East did not take the South Road
· Mr. West did not the South Road.
· The West Road was not taken by Mr. East
What road did each of the prisoners take to make
Ans: Mr. East took the North Road
Mr. West took the East Road
Mr. North took the South Road
Mr. South took the West Road.
31. A hotel has two wings, the east wing and the west
wing. Some east wing rooms but not all have an ocean
All west wing rooms have a harbor view. The
charge for all rooms is identical, except as follows :
· Extra charge for all harbor view rooms on or above
the 3rd floor
· Extra charge for all ocean view rooms except those
· Extra charge for some harbor rooms on the first two
floor & some east wing rooms without ocean view but
having kitchen facilities.
Which of the following cannot be determined on the
basis of the information given:
I. Whether there are any rooms without a
balcony for which an extra charge is imposed.
II. Whether any room without a kitchen or
a view involves an extra charge.
III. Whether two extra charges are imposed
for any room.
(A) I only (B) II only
(C) III only (D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III
32. Given that April 1 is Tuesday. A, B, C are 3
persons told that their farewell party was on
· A - May 8, Thursday
· B - May 10, Tuesday
· C - June 5, Friday
Out of A, B, C only one made a completely true
statement concerning date, day and month. The other
told two one told the day right and the other the
date right. What is correct date, month, day.
Ans: B - (May 10) SUNDAY , C - June
33. Answer the following questions based on the
conditions from the choices A, B, C, D, E as described
(A) if a definite conclusion can be drawn from
(B) if a definite conclusion can be drawn from
(C) if a definite conclusion can be drawn from
condition 1 and 2
(D) if a definite conclusion can be drawn from
condition 1 or 2
(E) no conclusion can be drawn using both
· person 1 says N<5
· person says N>5
· person 3 says 3N>20
· person 4 says 3N>10
· person 5 says N<8
What is the value of N?
a) 1. No of persons who speak false being less than no
of persons who tells the truth.
2. Person 2 is telling the truth.
b) 1. no of persons telling the truth is greater than
no of persons telling lies
2. person 5 is telling the truth.
. Three friends divided some bullets equally. After
all of them shot 4 bullets the total number of bullets
remaining is equal to the bullets each had after
division. Find the original number divided.
Ans: 18 ( Initially . x
x-4 x-4 ) Equation is 3x-12 = x
2. A ship went on a voyage. After it had traveled 180
miles a plane started with 10 times the speed of the
Find the distance when they meet from starting
Ans: 200miles. ( Distance traveled
by plane = 1/10 distance traveled by ship + 180 )
3. Replace each letter by a digit. Each letter must be
represented by the same digit and no beginning letter
of a word can be 0.
O N E
O N E
O N E
O N E
T E N
Ans: O =1, N = 8 ,E = 2, T = 7
4. In a railway station, there are two trains going.
One in the harbor line and one in the main line, each
having a frequency of 10 minutes. The main line
service starts at 5 o'clock and the harbor line starts
at 5.02A.M. A man goes to the station every day to
catch the first train that comes. What is the
probability of the man catching the first train?
5. Next number in the series is: 1 , 2 , 4 , 13 ,
31 , 112 , ?
Ans: 224. (No number has digits more
than 4. All of them are 1 , 2, 4, 8 , 16 , 32 , 64
converted to base 5 )
6. Father's age is three years more than three times
the son's age. After three years, father's age will be
ten years more than twice the son's age. What is the
father's present age?
Ans: 33 years.
7. Light glows for every 13 seconds . How many times
did it glow between 1:57:58 and 3:20:47 am.
Ans : 383 + 1 = 384
8. From a vessel, 1/3rd of the liquid evaporates on
the first day. On the second day 3/4th of the
remaining liquid evaporates. What fraction of the
volume is present at the end of the second day.
9. Supposing a clock takes 7 seconds to strike 7. How
long will it take to strike 10?
Ans: 10 1/2 seconds.
10. There are 20 poles with a constant distance
between each pole. A car takes 24 second to reach the
How much will it take to reach the last pole.
Ans: 41.45 seconds (Let the
distance between two poles = x, Hence 11x:24::19x:? )
11. How can 1000000000 be written as a product of
two factors neither of them containing zeros
Ans: 2 power 9 x 5 power 9
12. Two trains starting at same time, one from
Bangalore to Mysore and other in opposite direction
arrive at their
destination 1 hr and 4 hours respectively after
passing each other. How much faster is one train from
13. Every day a cyclist meets a train at a particular
crossing. The road is straight before the crossing and
both are traveling in the same direction. The cyclist
travels with a speed of 10kmph. One day the cyclist
comes late by 25 min. and meets the train 5km before
the crossing. What is the speed of the train?
14. A man collects cigarette stubs and makes one full
cigarette with every 8 stubs. If he gets 64 stubs how
many full cigarettes can he smoke.
15. The minute and the hour hand of a watch meet every
65 minutes. How much does the watch lose or gain time
and by how much?
Ans: Gains; 5/11 minutes
16. A survey was taken among 100 people to find their
preference of watching T. V. programs. There are 3
channels. Given the no of people who watch
· at least channel 1
· at least channel 2
· at least channel 3
· no channels at all
· at least channels 1and 3
· at least channels 1 and 2
· at least channels 2 and 3
Find the no of people who watched all three.
17. Two trains start from stations A and B spaced
50kms apart at the same time and speed. As the trains
start, a bird flies from one train towards the other
and on reaching the second train, it flies back to the
first train. This is repeated till the trains collide.
If the speed of the trains is 25 km/h and that of the
bird is 100km/h. How much did the bird travel till the
18. Four persons A, B, C and D are playing cards. Each
person has one card, laid down on the table below him,
which has two different colors on either side. The
colors visible on the table are Red, Green, Red and
Blue. They see the color on the reverse side and give
the following comment.
A: Yellow or Green
B: Neither Blue nor Green
C: Blue or Yellow
D: Blue or Yellow
Given that out of the 4 people 2 always lie find
out the colors on the cards each person.
19. Sometime after 10:00 PM a murder took place. A
witness claimed that the clock must have stopped at
the time of the shooting. It was later found that the
position of both the hands were the same but their
positions had interchanged.
Tell the time of the shooting (both actual and
Ans: Time of shooting = 11:54 PM
Claimed Time = 10:59 PM
20. Some statements are given below:
· L says all of my other four friends have money
· M says that P said that exactly one among them has
· N says that L said that precisely two among them
· O says that M said that three of the others have
· P, L and N said that they have money
All the above statement are false. Who has money & who
doesn't have any money?
21. The Bulls, Pacers, Lakers and Jazz ran for a
contest. Anup, Sujit, John made the following
statements regarding results.
· Anup said either Bulls or Jazz will definitely win
· Sujit said he is confident that Bulls will not win
· John said he is confident that neither Jazz nor
Lakers will win
When the result came, it was found that only one of
the above three had made a correct statement. Who has
made the correct statement and who has won the
Ans: Sujith; Lakers
22. There are five persons with surnames Mukherjee,
Misra, Iyer, Patil and Sharma. There are 4 persons
having first or middle name of Kumar, 3 persons with
Mohan, 2 persons with Dev and 1 Anil. Either Mukherjee
and Patil have a first or middle name of Dev or Misra
and Iyer have their first or middle name of Dev. Of
Mukherkjee and Misra, either both of them have a first
or middle name of Mohan or neither have a first or
middle name of Mohan. Either Iyer or Sharma has a
first or middle name of Kumar but not both. Who has
the first or middle name of Anil?
Ans: Kumar Misra Dev, Mohan Iyer Dev,
Kumar Patil Mohan, Mohan Sharma Kumar
23. Ann, Boobie, Cathy and Dave are at their monthly
business meeting. Their occupations are author,
biologist, chemist and doctor, but not necessarily in
that order. Dave just told the biologist that Cathy
was on her way with doughnuts. Ann is sitting across
from the doctor and next to the chemist. The doctor
was thinking that Boobie was a goofy name for parent's
to choose, but didn't say anything. What is each
Ans: Since Dave spoke to the biologist and
Ann sat next to the chemist and across the doctor,
Cathy must be the author and Ann the biologist. The
doctor didn't speak, but David did, so Bobbie is the
doctor and Dave the chemist.
24. There are 6 volumes of books on a rack kept in
order ( i.e. vol.1, vol. 2 and so on ). Give the
position after the following changes were noticed.
· All books have been changed
· Vol.5 was directly to the right of Vol.2
· Vol.4 has Vol.6 to its left and both weren't at
· Vol.1 has Vol.3 on right and Vol.5 on left
· An even numbered volume is at Vol.5's place
Find the order in which the books are kept now.
Ans: 2 , 5 , 1 , 3 , 6 , 4
25. A soldier looses his way in a thick jungle. At
random he walks from his camp but mathematically in an
interesting fashion. First he walks one mile East then
half mile to North. Then 1/4 mile to West, then 1/8
mile to South and so on making a loop. Finally how far
he is from his camp and in which direction.
Ans: Distance traveled in north and
1/2 - 1/8 + 1/32 - 1/128 +
1/512 - ............. = 1/2/((1-(-1/4))
Similarly in east and west
1- 1/4 + 1/16 - 1/64 +
1/256 - ................... = 1/(( 1- ( - 1/4))
Add both the answers
26. Conversation between two mathematicians:
First : I have three children. The
product of their ages is 36. If you sum their ages, it
is exactly same as my neighbor's door number on my
The second mathematician verifies the door number
and says that it is not sufficient. Then the first
says " Ok one more clue is that my youngest is really
the youngest". Immediately the second mathematician
answers. Can you answer the question asked by the
first mathematician? What are the children ages?
Ans 1,6 and 6
27. 500 men are arranged in an array of 10 rows and 50
columns according to their heights. Tallest among each
row of all are asked to fall out. And the shortest
among them is A. Similarly after resuming that to
their original positions that the shortest among each
column are asked to fall out. And the tallest among
them is B. Now who is taller among A and B ?
28. There are six boxes containing 5 , 7 , 14 , 16 ,
18 , 29 balls of either red or blue in color. Some
boxes contain only red balls and others contain only
blue. One sales man sold one box out of them and then
he says, " I have the same number of red balls left
out as that of blue ". Which box is the one he sold
Ans: Total no of balls = 89 and
(89-29 /2) = 60/2 = 30 and also 14 + 16 = 5 + 7 + 18 =
29. Ram Singh goes to his office in the city, every
day from his suburban house. His driver Gangaram drops
him at the railway station in the morning and picks
him up in the evening. Every evening Ram Singh reaches
the station at 5 O' Clock. Gangaram also reaches at
the same time. One day Ram Singh started early from
his office and came to the station at 4 O' Clock. Not
wanting to wait for the car he starts walking home.
Mangaram starts at normal time, picks him up on the
way and takes him back house, half an hour early. How
much time did Ram Singh walk?
30. A family X went for a vacation. Unfortunately it
rained for 13 days when they were there. But whenever
it rained in the mornings, they had clear afternoons
and vice versa. In all they enjoyed 11 mornings and 12
afternoons. How many days did they stay there totally?
31. There are N coins on a table and there are two
players A & B. You can take 1 or 2 coins at a time.
The person who takes the last coin is the loser. A
always starts first.
· If N=7
(a) A can always win by taking two coins in his first
(b) B can win only if A takes two coins in his first
(c) B can always win by proper play
(d) none of the above
· 2. A can win by proper play if N is equal to
(a) 13 (b) 37 (c) 22 (d) 34 (e) 48
· 3. B can win by proper play if N is equal to
(a) 25 (b)26 (c) 32 (d) 41 (e) none
· 4. if N<4, can A win by proper play always?
(a) Yes (b) No
32. Mr. Mathurs jewels have been stolen from his bank
locker. The bank has lockers of 12 people which are
arranged in an array of 3 rows and 4 columns like:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12
· The locker belonging to JONES was to the right of
BLACK'S locker and directly above MILLAR'S.
· BOOTH'S locker was directly above MILLAR'S.
· SMITH'S locker was also above GRAY's (though not
· GREEN'S locker was directly below SMITH'S.
· WILSON'S locker was between that of DAVIS and BOOTH.
· MILLAR'S locker was on the bottom row directly to
the right of HERD'S.
· WHITE'S locker was on the bottom right hand corner
in the same column as BOOTH'S.
Which box belonged to Mr. Mathurs?
Ans: Box number 9 belongs to Mr.
33. Five people A ,B ,C ,D ,E are related to each
other. Four of them make one true statement each as
(i) B is my father's brother.
(ii) E is my mother-in-law.
(iii) C is my son-in-law's brother
(iv) A is my brother's wife.
Ans: (i) D (ii) B (iii)
E (iv) C