Paper pattern: 1
Syntel paper 18th July ,(2004)
1.English ( 25 ques, 15 mins) synonyms( for the given word there are 3 synonyms and one odd one is given find the odd)
- fill in the blanks with the suitable word.(5 ques)
- sentence correction.(10 ques)
- analogies(5 ques)
2. Aptitude.(45 ques, 30 mins)
3. Reasoning and a flowchart(30 ques, 30 mins)
few ques remembered:
synonyms: (not sure)
1. intimidness: fear
2. crust: wave
3. assist: save
4. affirm: hint
1. One pipe fills in 4 hrs and another in 5hrs when they both work alternately how much time will be taken to fill the tank.
2. LCM of 3 nos is 120 which of the following no must not be their HCF
a. 8, b.24 c.12 d.24 and 30
3. Two trains from the points A and B moving in opposite direction, at the point they meet the second train travels 120 kms more than the first. The speeds are 50kmph and 60kmph respectively find the distance between A and B?
4. One monkey climbs a poll at the rate of 6mts/min and fell down 3mts in the alternately. Length of the poll is 60 mts, how much time it will take to reach the top?
a. 31 b.33 c.37 d.40 (ans: 37)
5 A number when multiplied by 7/18 instead of 7/8 and got the result 770 less than the actual result, find the original number?
6. The volume and the radius of both cone and sphere are equal , then find the ratio of height of the cone to the diameter of the sphere?
7. A and B started a business with 1500 and 2500 and got a profit 800 rs. Half of the profit is shared equally the remaining is shared according to their investment. Find their profits.
8. The difference between the simple interest and compound interest for 2 years?
8(a) A: B =2:3 and B: C=5:6 then find A: B: C
9. An amount of 64 Rs has to become 125 in 3 years in compound interest , find the rate of interest?
10. A similar to the above problem finds the time (rate of interest is given)
11. The prime no., which is greater than 6 when divide by 6 will always gives the remainder
Ans: 1 or 5
12. Length of a rectangle is increased by 50% and breadth is decreased by 25% what is the difference in the area
13. Mr. X position in a class is 13th from first and 17th from last, and 8th from the first and 13th from last in passed candidates list, then how many candidates failed in the exam
14. Two successive discounts of 20% and 15% is equal to a net discount of ____
15. A two digit number is 4 times to its sum of digits, when 9 is added to the number, the digits will get reversed. Then what is that number?
16. The length of the following rectangle is '4a' and its breadth is '2a'. Radius of the two circles is 'a'. Then find the ratio of total area of the rectangle to the area not covered by the two circles with in the rectangle
17. A person starts with the speed of u/1 kmph and returns with the speed of u/2 kmph, what is his average speed.
18. A cistern will be filled in 9 hrs, but becoz of an outlet it is filled in 10 hrs, if the cistern is filled, then how much time the outlet takes to empty the cistern.
19. In a right angled triangle ABC angle B = 90, BM is the median to AC, then AB2 + BC2 (in terms of BM)
20. Three circles with same radius r are drawn with centers as three vertices of a triangle. What is the sum of areas of the intersections of these circles with the triangle?
21. X men work for X days to produce X products, and then Y men can produce Y products in ---- days.
22. The compound interest for first and second years is 200 and 220 on a certain amount. Find the sum.
23. Marked price of a commodity is 35% above the cost price. If he gives a discount of 15%, how much he gains on the deal.
24.5 mangoes + 4 oranges = 7 mangoes + 1 orange.
Find the ratio of mango to orange.
25. A man starts a work, after some time some one joins him..............like this
26. Food is sufficient for 100men for 60days. For how many days the food is sufficient for 500men?
27. If 8men 8hrs per day works for 8days get 45/- then how many men required if the work is 5hrs per day for10days they get 60/-?
28. A person sold an item at a profit of 12% .If he sold it at a loss of 12% then he would get Rs.6/- less. What is the cost price?
29. (1 ½ / ((3/4-2/5)/ (2/3+4/5))) * ((2 ¾/ ((4/3-2/5)/ (5/3+6/5))) (Numbers different)
30. Avg age of X number of adults in a class is 30yrs. If 12 new adults with avg age of 32 joined with them then the avg age increases by one. Find X?
31. A sphere of radius 2cms is dropped into a cylinder of radius 4 cms containing water upto certain level. The raise in the water level is (not sure)
32. Find the average of reciprocals of x and y:
33. In a school there are 1000 students in the year 1999. The number of students increased by 20% in the year 2000. And it is increased by 15% in the year 2001. But it is decreased by 18% in 2002. Then what is the strength in 2002. (Numbers may differ)
1. Odd man out a) stem b) fruits c) flowers d) tree e) root
2. 9, --, 15, 18, 21, 24 3. Seating arrangement (2 puzzles)
4. Books arrangement (puzzle) 5. Flowchart
6. If 3rd day of a month is Monday. Then what is the 5th day after 21st of that month?
7. Blood relation
Paper pattern: 2
Verbal (25 questions), Quantitative (45 questions), analytical (30 questions)
For verbal refer to Barons most frequently used words...
Quans : R.S Agarwal (Quantitative Aptitude)...
Ex.:Ratios and proportions, Train problems, Simple and Compound interest, Area Volume problems, Ages problem, Venn Diagram problems, Graphical problems (ex. Bar Chart), Seating arrangement problem, Flow Chart.
Next round is Interview:
Basically a General Interview
Questions on ur Project details, Questions on personal
Brush up ur subject for safe purpose...
Paper pattern: 3
Test is in gre pattern.
Verbal-25 q. 15 min.(includes antonyms,analogies,sentences etc.)
anal 50q--30 min.
paper is tough.
don't waste time.
words i remember are: sequester, celibate: marriage ,importunate
in quants: 1.sqrt12+sqrt12+...............upto infinity.
2. min no. to be multiplied to 60 to make it perfect square.
3. ques regar. 9 multiples
4. sphere vol. uqes.
5. compund int.and simple interest based.
Paper pattern: 4
Question pattern of SYNTEL test conducted at COCHIN (SHREDS) ON 23-8-
Section I: 25 questions (ENGLISH) in 15 minutes...
Section II: 45 questions (QUANTITATIVE) in 45 minutes....
Section III: 30 questions (REASONING) in 30 minutes.....
We were first asked to do section II and then section I.....
SECTION II QUANTITATIVE (TIME IS A SEVERE CONSTRAINT)
Qn 1.) (this was the first question)
Maximum numbers that can be formed using all the 4 digits 6 4 8 1
without repetition and which is divisible by 9.( ans none)
2.) Find the number of sides of a regular convex polygon whose angle is 40degrees.
3.) a+b+c=0, then roots of ax^2+bx+c=0 is 1.imag 2.real 3.coincidental 4.zero
4.) Difference b/w the compound interest and simple interest for Rs.2500 for 2 years is given-----. Find the rate of interest.
5.) There was one more question on S.I and C.I
6.) The minimum number by which 60 is to be multiplied to generate a square. Ans 15
7.) A monkey climbs 6 mts and falls 3mts in alternate minutes. Then time taken to climb a tree 60metres high? a. 35 b.37 c.32 d.34 (think the answer is 37)
8.) (This was the second last question) A bucket contains z drops. and it leaks x drops in t secs.then the time required to empty the bucket(in minutes)?
9.) 6 pipes fill or empty the cistern. find the number of emptying pipes iff it takes 18hrs to fill and 18 hrs to empty.... (don't remember the question exactly)
10.) The largest no: which is a factor of 1080 and 729?
11.) No: of spheres of radius 1 that can be got from sphere of radius (or diameter don't recall) 8
12.) (Think the last but three question) Traveling at 3/4th the speed a man is 20 minutes later then speed is??
13.) There are 6 keys and 6 locks. then number of combinations to be tried out to get the actual solution a. 5^6 b.6^5 (don't remember the rest)
14.) choosing 2 people out of 10 in how many combinations can a particular person(some name) be always included....
15.) from 6 white balls and 7 black balls probability that 2 balls drawn at random are of the same color?
16.) If a sales man gets successive gain of 15% and 20% then his actual gain? Ans. 38
17.) A string of pearls such that 1/3 is lost and of that 1/4th is missing, remaining is 20 then actual number of pearls? Ans. 40
18.) A man gets a gain of x%. but if he had sold at twice the cost price, what will be his gain?(question not sure) a. 2x b.200-2x c.100+x (not sure of the options)
19.) A clock was 7mts behind the actual time on 3 p.m. on wednesday and 8 mts ahead of actual time on (not sure) 4 p.m. friday. when will it show the correct time?
20.) Boat moves upstream in 6 hrs and covers the same distance downstream in 5 hrs. then speed of a raft floating?(accuracy of question not sure)
21.) (This was the last question) no idea what it stands for........ some kind of notation like S(P(M((D(a,b),2))):P(M(S(D(a,b),........options were
1. ab 2.(a-b)^2 3.(a+b)^2 4.none
22.) If x men working x hrs per day can do x units of work in x days, then y men working y hrs/day would be able to complete how many units of work i y days?
ans. y^3/x^2 (question in R.S. Agarwal)
23.) (This was a question in the first page of the section II booklet) a cone with radius----- and height -----. a hemisphere covers the cone such that base of hemisphere meets that of the cone.
then the enclose volume.....(R.S. Agarwal consists of similar questions)
24.) There was one more question on volume and surface area.....
25.) 1 Rs, 50 ps , 25 ps coins are in the ratio ---------, then the number of 50 ps coins if they sum to ------Rs. (similar question in R.S.Agarwal)
26.) There was one more question on coins i.e. abt getting a change of 10ps and 25 coins for ------Rs.(how many possible combinations or so possible)
27.) x/y + y/x = 40/21(don't remember the exact value, believe this is the one) find x and y
There were 2 questions on train and one was like:
28.) A goods train starts and after 2 hrs a passenger train at 4km/hr starts and overtakes the goods train after 4 hrs, then the speed of goods train?
29.) 15hrs of boys work=6 hrs of women's work. 3/5 of the work is done by -----boys and -----women. How much time would be taken by the women to complete the work?
30.) Using false weight a man gains -----%, for a k.g. then he uses a weight of.....(this kind of question has some formula that can be found in R.S.Agarwal)
31.) There was one question on L.C.M. and co primes (don't remember the question)
32.) There was one question on triangle
33.) A figure was given a square with four corners shaded and asked to find the area of the shaded portion.... ie area of square-area of the regular octagon.....
This is all i can remember from section II
SECTION I ENGLISH (EASY) PATTERN:
1.) Few questions on finding out the segment of sentence which is wrong....
2.) Analogy. (few i can remember)
4.) (remember only the answer)
3.) To fill up the blanks in the sentences with the most appropriate words.....
4.) to find the word opposite in meaning (few qns i can remember)
SECTION III REASONING (TIME IS A CONSTRAINT)
1.) (last question and the easiest) a simple flowchart whose steps are as follows. value of r and h are given, a and b=0 m=pi*r*r*h n=(pi*r*r*h)/3 if (m==n) do ------else b=4*pi*r*h print a and b [DON'T REMEMBER IF condition is m==n or m<n]
2.) (second last question this was also easy) it was abt a set of people talking 4 languages and then qns were abt who could act as a translator to whom ........
3.) There were 3 questions based on an argument given... questions were to find out which statement in the objectives given could strengthen the argument or to weaken the argument....(bit confusing)
4.) blood relationship question( i remember all the statements given, though not the question) 10 people in a family A B C are husbands D E F are wives altogether there are only 4 women. each family can have atmost 2 children and C has atleast 1 child. D and G are related to A. E
cannot be related to H and I and J are not related.....
5.) (this consists of the most confusing set of questions) a set of statements are given and then questions were asked, the statements were like All A B C D E F are Q's All A's are B's
--------------(better leave this question for the last)
6.) Alice works on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
B does not work on Wed
C works only on Tuesday and someotherday(don't remember)
D does not work on Friday
E works on all days except on the first Monday and Thursday
then questions like who all will be available on which days .....
7.) question based on venn diagram given ......read the question properly and then answer
8.) (First question) abt 4 buses with different seating capacity.and
different charges. and questions were to find out the minimum number
of trips required, the maximum charge, the second highest charge
one more thing: though they said abt 50% cut-off for each section, for us THEY HAD CONSIDERED THE TOTAL(OUT OF 100) only AND NOT THE CUT-OFF...... seems they have changed their processing technique......don't think they are are going to change the questions atleast for quite a while.....so this being the latest set, those preparing for syntel, i would suggest u to peruse through the questions and be ready to answer them.... remember rate of answering counts in a lot for this test......
Paper pattern: 5
Quantitative, Analytical, English lang testing --- the first 2 lasted for more than an hour and the english test was for 15 min --- totally 2 hours.Go thr R.S.Agarwal, and barrons if u clear the test u will have the interview which was almost a general one and only a very few techical questions.... i dont know whether the interview will be of the same type for everyone
Paper pattern: 6
The test consisted of three sections
1. English 25 marks 13 cut off
2. Quant 45 qns 23 cutoff
3. Logical reasoning 30 qns 15 cutoff
English was the only one tough in it.
Paper pattern: 7
I attended the Syntel test on 19th in Bangalore ( Question paper set no 2 )
Patteren is same as set no 1
1.English ( 25 ques, 15 mins)
2. Aptitude.(45 ques, 30 mins)
3. Reasoning and a flowchart(30 ques, 30 mins)
some of questions i rememberd are
a. window:bedroom b. lument:barevemant
c. pot:pan d. face:penalty
select most oppsite word from the list (there are 5 options)
1 sedate answer = a. unify, b. inmmunize, c. recupenate, d. stimulate, e. injure
2 sequester (options not known)
some questions repeated from aptitude (earliar)
1 One monkey climbs a poll at the rate of 6mts/min and fell down 3mts in the alternately. Length of the poll is 60 mts , how much time it will take to reach the top?
a. 31 b.33 c.37 d.40 (ans: 37)
2 Two successive discounts of 20% and 15% is equal to a net
discount of .....a 30 b 35 c d
3 A person starts with the speed of u/1 kmph and returns with
the speed of u/2 kmph, what is his average speed.
4. X men work for X days to produce X products, then Y men can
produce Y products in ---- days.
Paper pattern: 8
I am inundated with the queries regarding syntel.i appeared fo rth ewalkin in mumbai.they have three sections in written test viz, verbal, quantitative and reasoning. u got 30 mins for each sectrion.verbal - 35 questions in 30 mins.
quantitative - 45 questions in 30 mins.
reasoning - 30 questions in 30 mins.
cutoff for each section is 50% of the questions in that section.once u r thru, u will get a call for interview.its very general kind of interview. they ask about ur family background and personal questions. they can ask about ur final year project and what all is mentioned in ur resume.technical questions are rare, but for safer side, be ready for such questiosn also.they normally look for ur attitude and confidence level in interviews.
Paper pattern: 9
I had applied to Syntel on july 15th thru a mail id given in this group.I got an admit card & call to write the test on July 20th 9am.Many people had come to write the Test....The classrooms in all the 3 floors of the building got filled.They first give u Section-2 aptitude-60mins(dunno why they jumbled the order of section 1 & 2.)Then they give Section 1- Verbal-15minsLastly,Section 3- Logical Reasoning.-45mins.The questions are quite easy,if u go thru RSAgarwal u wud be able to answer the questions but the problem is u need to be really really fast in answering the question...Verbal was also quite tough u need to go thru GRE book I guess....Logical Reasoning was quite cool for most of the questions the choice 'a' was the answer so didn;t have to bother going thru the other choices.I wasn't able to complete the paper as I told u Speed is essential...
To be specific there were qns on "Trains","Compound Interest"(4-5 qns in this),"Time and Work"(if A does in so many days,B does in so many days how long will A+B take kinds!),"Proportion"(if u mix so much sugar in -litres of water what is the percentage of sugar in the soln...!),
a,b are prime nos, a=b+2 is a an odd number(yes/no?)
I think the answer is Yes.
In Verbal give antonyms for waffle, dissonance, Chagrin....
Relations: - Sartorial: Tailor; Feud: ----------;
and some fill in the blanks.
They selected some 38 ppl for the Interview by 1.30pm .I got selected for the Interview. Interview was held the same day.Interview was purely HR he asked questions like;
Brief me about what u have done after ur 12th
What do u consider as ur Strengths
What was ur project on?
What are ur software skills?
Are u strong in ur Technical Skills(I said yes,he didn't ask me tech. qns.)
The placement was for the position of "Programmer",placement will be in Mumbai or Pune.
1st one month will be Training on Mainframes,Languages etc....from 9am to 11pm!!!!!
Then u wud be put into live projects.
Paper pattern: 10
Pattern 3 sections
No Negative Marking
Section I - Verbal - 25 qns - 15 mins
Section II - Quantitative Aptitude - 30 qns - 45 mins
Section III - Logical Reasoning - 30 qns - 30 mins
Total 85qns - 90 Mins
Section - I - Verbal - 25 qns in 15 mins, refer Barron's GRE guide.
Fill up the sentences
Find the Word that has to be replaced
Form a Sentence and find the last word
Section - II - Quantitative Aptitude 30 qns in 45mins - please refer Quantitative Aptitude by R.S.Agarwal to prepare.
few qns i remember are
1. The highest Score in an innings was 3/11 of the total and the next highest was 3/11 of the reminder. If the scores differed by 9, find the total score.
a) 151 b) 161 c) 121 a d) 101 e) 137 Ans: c
2. A boy was asked to multiply a certain number by 53. He multiplied it by 35 and got his answer less than the correct one by 1206. Find the number to be multiplied.
a) 37 b) 67 a c) 87 d) 97 e) 107 Ans: 67
3. A Problem like this not exactly the same but on same model.
If the manufacturer gains 10 %, the wholesale dealer 15 % and the retailer 25 % then the cost of Production of a table, if the retail price is Rs.1265
a) 632.50 b) 800 c) 814 d) 834.24 Ans: b
4. A trader marks his goods up by 50% and declares two successive discounts of 20% each. What is his overall gain?
a) 10% gain b) 4% gain c) 4% loss (A) d) 10% loss e) No loss No gain
Train Problems - 3 as finding speed of train, how many secs it will cross each other etc.
Age problems -3 , find mothers age,fathers age etc.
Statistics Problems(probability) as A-this much , B-This Much, A n B-this much and A u B - ?
Angle Problems which deals with triangle - 3 problems.
Section III - Logical reasoning - 30 qns in 30 mins
1. Tower of Hanoi Problem - Ans : 7
2. problem on fig. find the shaded area, square of size 14cm.. ans: 42
3. problem on symmetric fig ;; ans less than the 1172(check) .
4. Blood Relation Problems - 3
5. Then a passage is given on blood relation and 4 qns asked how many male:ans -4 and few etc.
6. Find odd man out of the given series - 3 problems pretty simple put A-Z and number them 1-26 and then u can find easily odd man out.
7. Find the missing letter - was a bit tough to establish relation - 3 problems
8. u have 3 figure -based on the figures ques asked.. easy one..
eg: Fig Triangle means Strong Fig Square means Tall Fig Circle means Fair.
Ques asked is find the number that represents Strong Tall and Fair persons.. easy one ..
ans : 4
9. Another question Women, Sub inspector, graduates - Ans: 3
10. An Flow Chart - GIven Units - 250
find final Value with formulae - (units*1.25) and few calculations like this Ans:506.25
And two tedious flow charts couldn't remember them and the answers.
Paper pattern: 11
Thanks for your support by sending papers of Syntel. I had campus recuritment program by Syntel on last Saturday. The test consist of general apptitude. I feel the paper is very easy. I was shortlisted for interview. Along with me 5 - MCA and 30 B.E got shorlisted for interview. On Wednesday(9-July,2003) I had interview. The interview is only HR. The guy who interviewed me was so cool. He started the interview with the question "Tell me about urself?" Then, he asked about my hobbies, postive and negative qualites. Then he asked about "What do u think to be a good software profession?". Then he asked about my project? Nothing technical. The interview last 10 - 15 mins. I am awaithing for the result.
Paper pattern: 12
I attened syntel intv today. It was purely HR for me. Not even one question from technical side. There r about 5 or 6 panels. It is one to one interview. Most of the panels were like that. In one panel they asked Linked list programs and asked them to give a speech abt any topic for 3 minutes. They rarely ask tech ques. 1 ques in microprocessor was how will U find a no odd or even [there is another method other than successive division which has got something to do with the last bit of the number]. For a EEE student there was a question from House wiring.
On the whole they measure Ur communication skills and ability to work in a team. Prepare for ques like where U c urself in 5 years from now, wat is Ur hobbies, How was ur project team, wat difficulties U faced in Ur project group and how U overcome those etc. Be prepared to explain Ur project clearly. The interview was very friendly. All the best for those going to attend the interview