I’m Vindhya.I attended TCS off Campus drive for freshers (only CSE and IT Branches) held at Hyderabad on 6/7th October. TCS first opens up registration in the month of May but it conducts the exam only in the month of October (we need to have lots of patience!!).
For Off Campus drive we will have to write a written exam which comprises of 3 sets(X, Y, and Z). I heard about 14,000 students (7000 students on 6th Oct and abt 7000 students on 7th Oct) had attended this exam in Hyderabad.
The written test results were announced on 11th Oct and only 2,338 students cleared the written exam. There was lots of competition; I would suggest u to score at least 52-55 in the written out of 82 questions. I got set X (brown color). I will post in the maximum questions I remember. There were total of 82 questions.
1st Section: Verbal: 32 questions. (10 synonyms; 10 Antonyms; 6 fill in the blanks; 6 Reading comprehension).
- Musty= stale
- Galleon= ship
- Garrulous= talkative
- Brochure= pamphlet
- Candid= outspoken
- Regal= royal
- Repudiate = reject
- Chimerical= fantastic
- Credit X believe false
- Quixotic X pragmatic
- Admonition X commendation
- Precipitate X Dilatory.
- Inter X bury.
- Omniscience X Ignorance.
- Precipitous X Cautious
- Protract X shorten
- Tenacious X
6 Fill in the blanks: It was on fungus (page117 12th edition Gre Barron’s book).I will type the complete passage. (The same question was asked in set Y or Z set too.)
Observe the dilemma of the fungus: it is a plant, but it possesses no chlorophyll. While all other plants put the suns energy to work for them combining the nutrients of ground and air into the body structure, the chlorophylless fungus must look elsewhere for an energy supply. It finds it in those other plants which, having received their energy free from the sun, relinquish it at some point in their cycle either to animals (like us humans) or to fungi.
In this search for energy the fungus has become the earth’s major source of rot and decay. Wherever you see mold forming on a piece of bread or a pile of leaves turning to compost, or a blown-down tree becoming pulp on the ground, you are watching a fungus eating. Without fungus action the earth would be piled high with the dead plant life of past centuries. In fact, certain plants which contain resins that are toxic to fungi will last indefinitely; specimens of the redwood for instance can still be found resting on the forest floor centuries after having been blown down.
(Note: The underlined sentences were the blanks to be filled by choosing them from the options given.)
6 Reading comprehension questions: It was on- The curtain rises: the cardinal and Daniel de Bosola…… (Pg 479 12th edition Gre Barron’s book or Pg 460 15th edition Gre Barron’s book) I will give u the answers directly…..
For question no 27) the answer is “C” (analyze the appearances and moral natures of two dramatic figures)
For question no 28) the answer is “D” (are characters in a play)
For question no 29) the answer is “E” (mercilessness)
For question no 30) the answer is “E” (a mercenary killer)
For question no 31) the answer is “A” (familiar with the paintings of El Greco and van dyke)
For question no 32) the answer is “D” (He finds him formidable both as an opponent and as a dramatic character).
In Set Y and Z the Reading comprehension was on –*Like her white friends Eleanor Roosevelt and Aubrey Williams, Mary Bethune believed in…… (Pg 113 12th edition Gre Barron’s book or Pg 98 15th edition Gre Barron’s book)
2nd Section: Aptitude- 38 questions
1. 5,6,7,8,9.11,13, ??,17,18 (not exactly sure abt the problem)
2. Sequence of letters is given. We’ve to find out how many B’s are there under the condition that, B’s should be followed by G and should not be followed by S.
3. What is the unit of the following?
(Power*time) / (velocity*velocity)
1.mass 2.distance 3.velocity 4.speed
Ans:mass (not sure)
4. In the word “T … …“ if we exchange first with the second ,second with the third ,third with fourth and so on......till last then what will be the 10 letter from right?
1. G 2.N 3.A 4.R
5. What is the largest prime no that will fit in 7 bit memory?
6. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 900 mtr width. a cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the river and 3000 mtr away from the power unit. The cost of the cable bellows water Rs5 / mtr and cost of cable on the bank is Rs 4/ mtr. Find the pt where the cable cut through the river.
7. What are the number of edges, number of vertices and number of faces of a planar cube among the following options?
a) 6, 6, 6 b) 4,8,12 c) 12, 8, 6 d) 4,6,12 (Ans: C)
8. If G (0) = -1 G (1) = 1 and G (N)=G(N-1) + G(N-2) then what is the value of G(5)?
9. Which of the following straight lines are perpendicular to each other?
1)3x+9y=8 2)x=4 3)y=6 4)5y=15x+3
a)1, 3 b)2, 3 c)1, 4 d)3, 4 e)None Ans C
10. On coding and decoding --Ans is COVER
11. 3 questions on Venn diagrams
No of students who passed in the 3 subjects details were given
a). how many % of students can pass in chemistry and also pass in maths but not physics?
b). wt is the % of students who pass in all 3 subjects?
c).i don’t remember the 3rd question
12. 3 questions on Data interpretation.
13. Wt is the highest standard deviation?
a.3,3,3,3,3,3 b.3,3,3,0,3,3 c.3,-3,3,-3,3,-3 d.-3,-3,-3,-3,-3,-3
17. Exact power of 2?
18. 2 students get 3 and 3.5 in their class exam and 1.4 and 1.65 in final exam respectively. Wt might be the class marks of 3rd student who have got ‘0’ marks in final exam?
19. . Match the following
a) Mammal – cow 1) not a type of
b) oven – building 2) a type of
c) square – polygon 3) a part of
d) word - sentence 4) superset of
Rest other problems please go through the previous papers…..they were very easy…..
3rd Section: Critical reasoning-(3 passages, 4 questions each passage-total 12 questions
(Refer Gre Barron’s 11/12/13th Edition book for this section)
1st Passage: Model test 1: section 5: question 1-4(For a motorist there are 3 ways of going from city A to city C…..).
I will give the answers directly:
QUESTION NO 71) Answer is “A” (directly on the toll free highway to city C)
QUESTION NO 72) Answer is “D” (toll free highway)
QUESTION NO 73) Answer is “C” (traffic conditions on the road, bridge and tunnel)
QUESTION NO 74) Answer is “E” (1 AND 2 ONLY)
2nd Passage: Model test 4: section 6: questions 8-12(Five executives of a European corporation hold a conference in Rome Mr. A converses in Spanish and Italian…)
I will give the answers directly:
QUESTION NO 75) Answer is “E” (any of the other 3 executives)
QUESTION NO 76) Answer is “A” (Mr. B. and Mr. E)
QUESTION NO 77) Answer is “D” (Messrs. A and B)
QUESTION NO 78) Answer is “D” (Italian and Spanish)
3rd Passage: Model Test 1: section 5: question 13-16(In a certain society there are two marriage groups, Red and Brown…..)
I will give the answers directly:
QUESTION NO 79) Answer is “C” (1 and 2 only)
QUESTION NO 80) Answer is “A” (an uncle in either group)
QUESTION NO 81) Answer is “B” (a red female marrying her mother’s brother)
QUESTION NO 82) Answer is “D” (a woman marrying her mother’s brother who is a widower)